Friday, April 27, 2018

Cliche - Cannabis

  Recently something that I've been doing research on is medical cannabis and CBD which are two different things, but have something in common: federal government restrictions! I'm not here to talk about the legalization of cannabis though, I'm here to talk about the research that could go into effect as well as the decriminalization of marijuana on a federal level if a recent CBD drug, Epidiolex, is passed by the FDA.   Recently U.C. San Diego started dealing with the Ray and Tye Noorda Foundation of Lindon to start research of CBD. CBD is cannabidiol, which is one of 113 cannabinoids identified in cannabis which accounts for 40% of the plant's extract and has no THC. Cannabidiol has harsh regulations due to the ban of marijuana on a federal level even though there is starting to be more and more research that CBD helps with not only seizures, depression, anxiety, and chronic pain, but also helps with neurodegeneration, neurogenesis, and plenty more. U.C. San Diego's Center for Medical Cannabis Research will start conducting research on the effects of CBD on severe cases of autism in children hopefully in 2019, but a major conflict is the fact that cannabis is a schedule 1 drug according to the FDA. 
  According to The Washington Post, the FDA is actually poising approval of the first cannabis-derived drug Epidiolex. Epidiolex is simply CBD, but the FDA has never approved any type of cannabis drug before. If this CBD is passed that could mean possible changes on a federal level for cannabis, which could mean the decriminalization of cannabis. The U.S. spends about $50 billion on the war on drugs each year, and in 2016 the number of people incarcerated in federal, state, and local prisons and jails was 2,157,000 (Drug Policy Alliance). This would mean fewer people in jails and prisons as well as a lot of savings for the government. 
  Overall there's a lot more to say about the cannabis, CBD, and federal regulations, but this is a major breakthrough in history going on. I deal with CBD every day, and I take CBD every day as well. This is something I'm very passionate about, not for the THC but for the CBD and overall medicinal purposes. I have a lot more to say about the subject, as I'm excited about the potential research, but to keep it to the point this is all I could say!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Luna,
    While reading your blog, I was very enlightened by it. I can relate to your blog because my brother was just diagnosed about two years ago at the age of 16 with juvenile monoclinic epilepsy. If the FDA choose to approve Epidiolex it will improve not only my brother but many other young adult’s seizures and tremors. I just recently experienced three of his tremors for the first time and it freaked me out. It made me scared and came to find out he was not taking his pills that weekend. From my research and reading your blog, Epidiolex can reduce seizures and the anxiety that comes with epilepsy.
    I strongly believe the FDA should approve marijuana use for decriminalization. There are so many men and women that are in jail and prisons but should not be there especially since marijuana is starting to become legal in other states.

    ReplyDelete